Thursday, February 24, 2011

An Update on Papaw Johnnie...

First, I hate not being there...second, I hate getting these updates second-hand because I can't ask questions and get them answered.  But...Chris is doing a pretty good job of keeping me updated. 

The surgery did not go as planned, and I don't know if it could be called a success.  Chris's dad's heart was functioning at 40% efficiency prior to the surgery.  The hope with the triple-bypass was to increase the efficiency to closer to 90-100%.  Unfortunately, after they completed the triple-bypass, they couldn't start his heart.  They immediately went back in and did an emergency bypass (making it a quadruple bypass surgery).  The doctor gave a pretty grim outlook that his quality of life may be at 45-50% (if that) and that he was on borrowed time.  Not the kind of news you hope to hear after a 10 hour surgery.

The rest of the updates are mostly via text from Chris (who changed his plane ticket from flying home on 2/24 to 3/3), so here they are:

We just saw him briefly.  We can see him again from 9-10 PM.  Nurses are changing shifts right now.
(2/22 @ 6:33 PM)

Back at Fisher House (free lodging for family).  It is really nice, btw.  We visited with him for about 30 minutes.  The nurse said he needs to rest.  He opens his eyes a little.  Will get to visit again tomorrow from 10-6.  Will call night nurse before her shift ends at 6:00.
(2/22 @ 8:55 PM)

Btw, if things went way south, I would definitely want you here.  But, at this point I'm hoping for the best.
(2/23 @ 9:28 AM)

They're not waking him up until tomorrow now.  He opens his eyes, barely, when we talk to him.  I had to step out of the icu for some fresh air.  The floor felt like it was moving.  Teresa was feeling faint last night.  Damn emotions!
(2/23 @ 9:30 AM)

I'm expecting him to recover, but quality of life will probably not improve.  He's gonna be maaaddd!
(2/23 @ 9:36 AM)

As long as hes up for the nascar race on Sunday.  :)
(2/23 @ 9:37 AM)

Right now they don't trust his heart to function on its own.  It's working, but needs help.
(2/23 @ 9:42 AM)

This place sucks.  Can't sit in icu, no chairs.  They don't want you to get comfortable, I guess.
(2/23 @ 10:05 AM)

Next step is rest for the day, then wake him up tomorrow.
(2/23 @ 1:00 PM)

Spoke with the doctor, danny chu, now he might be on the ventilator through the weekend.  His heart is doing better, but his lungs are weak now. 
(2/23 @ 4:48 PM)

Just visited dad couple minutes ago.  He was very responsive.  This nurse didn't care if we bothered him.  Its good for him.  He wanted water, but they can't give that to him, so they swabbed his mouth.  His blood pressure drops a little when we talk to him, but not too much.  He gestured as if how long have I been here and he seemed relieved when we told him its only been a day.  He can nod and mouth words a lil.  He stuck his tongue out at us.  Anywho, I think he's improved.  Good news.  Definitely not out of the woods though.
(2/23 @ 9:06 PM)

They just gave him a unit of blood.  His hemoglobin was low, typical with the surgery, so no concern.
(2/24 @ 10:10 AM)

They took the balloon pump out of his leg, which is good.  His heart doesn't need assistance pumping blood anymore.  They also lowered his oxygen level from 100% to 40%.  I believe 40% is as low as they'll go before removing the machine.  He asked for water again and asked for us to turn the tv off.  We have to guess what he wants and he nods.  So, things are looking better!
(2/24 @ 11:49 AM)

Praise the Lord!  It's amazing the changes that happen in 24 hours.  Please still keep praying for him!  And for Teresa and Chris in Houston...it's been an emotionally draining week!

No comments: