Sunday, August 30, 2009

AH...the first 4 weeks!

I have a blog? LOL! It's been so busy here for the last 4 weeks...I'm surprised the house is still standing! We are all adjusting, but I think we're all doing pretty well. Poor Honey is still pretty down and out wondering who is this little being that's taking all of our attention. She's warming up to Morgan...she gave her kisses today..and that's pretty huge. I'm being kind of hard on the dog...she's alway the first one to run into the nursery at night when Morgan wakes up crying...

Crying, crying, crying... it seems to be a constant noise here at the Taylor household. We're starting to get it under control. As the pediatrician said, we have a high maintenance baby with some good vocal chords. Chris says she's going to be a singer just like her mommy! By high maintenance, I mean that when she's awake, she's normally only happy when she's being worn in the baby carrier and mommy (or daddy) are bouncing on the large exercise ball. Without these two tools, she's normally crying! The nights are normally not too bad. She's sleeping 2.5-3 hours between feedings...and for the most part goes back to sleep after each feeding! For the most part... Caffeine has been my very best friend since I've stopped nursing. I didn't WANT to stop nursing...but even after working with the lactation consultants, my milk never came in. The pediatrician classified Morgan as "failing to thrive" and we had to supplement every feeding with formula. At that point, formula became the easier and lower stress option for us. I'm glad we eventually made that decision...because even after we stopped nursing....no milk ever came. No engorgement, no leaking, nada. Poor Morgan would have been a hungry little girl waiting for mom's milk.

Morgan's had a rough first four weeks. The first being the failing to thrive...can you imagine being hungry like that??? Poor baby! She had a pretty nasty diaper rash right around 2 weeks old. And then the poor girl was constipated this weekend. Luckily, we've gotten all three things under control so far. :o) Chris is traveling out of town next week for work and my mom flew back to Nebraska Saturday morning...so it's just me and Morgan (plus the dog and cat) Monday - Thursday. Pray for us! :o) John and Melissa fly in on Friday for the long Labor Day weekend. I don't think they've spent much time around babies...so this will be interesting! :o) I'm looking forward to them being here though!
Other than that...here's some pics!




2 comments:

The Kopers said...

I love seeing pictures of your parents - they always look just the same as I remember them :-)
And I'm sorry you've had a rough 4 weeks. It's a hard adjustment even without a high maitenance baby - so I can ONLY imagine! I'm sure you are doing great and are a wonderful mommy. Morgan sure looks like she's thriving now! She's getting big!
Keep the pictures coming. Love ya!

Shawna said...

Glad to hear things are going well for you guys! That stinks about the breastfeeding, I know you wanted to do it, well, at least you gave it a try!!! Can't wait to see more of Miss Morgan!